1) How GSS Points are calculated for Regular Season Races.
– For all Regular Season Races a swimmer can earn up to 100 points per race. 50 points are given for participation and up to 50 points for speed. The swimmer must complete the race to earn the 50 participation points. The speed points are based on the percentile ranking according to speed.
– This is how all races are calculated, regardless of distance, water conditions, number of swimmers, etc.
example: A swimmer swims a 1.5 km race and places 53rd out of 220 swimmers. The swimmer gets 50 participation points for completing the race, plus the speed points which are based on the “percentile placing” ÷ 2. In this case: 75.91 ÷ 2 =37.96 speed points. A total of: 50+37.96 = 87.96 GSS Points are awarded to the swimmer for that race.
2) Do I Need to Qualify for a GSS Championships Race?
– The goal of the GSS Championship Races are to provide all swimmers with a chance to experience the fun and excitement of a premier open water swimming event and therefore all GSS Championship Events currently require no qualifications!