GSS Pacific Championships
This race is anticipated to be the beginning of something big in the Pacific region. The Global Swim Series, in its second year, is the largest swim series in the world. Now with over 91 races in 30 countries and over 61,000 participants. The goal of the GSS is to promote the sport of open water swimming and increase participation in the sport.
By partnering with the team that runs the “3 Points Challenge” to host the first ever Pacific Championships we believe we are well on our way to bringing a fun and competitive open water race experience to both locals and to swimmers from all over the Pacific region.
Be a part of the very first Pacific Championships and be a part of history!
Below you will find all the details for the race. We look forward to seeing you there!
Race Entry Categories and Fees
Both the 1.5km and 3.8km swims will be raced in the following categories –
U18 18-29 Yrs 30-39 Yrs 40-49 Yrs 50-59yrs 60+yrs
Entry fees are as follows –
|1.5km Ocean Swim||$30 for U18, $35 for 18 plus|
|3.8km Ocean Swim||$40 for U18, $45 for 18 plus|
|Both events||$55 for U18, $65 for 18 plus|
A $10 blanket late entry fee will be charged on race day for all competitors for all races and categories that do not register online before Friday, April 21, 2017.
- The race organiser reserves the right to reject or cancel any entry in the race at any time.
- Swim caps must be worn in the Ocean Swim event – swim caps are supplied by the event.
- The use of full length wetsuits/swim suits (arms or legs covered) will not be permitted unless water temperatures are deemed too cold, or there are other prevailing conditions that warrant the wearing of wetsuits. If a competitor needs to wear a wetsuit due to circumstances beyond the conditions, the race director has the right to allow the competitor to participate, and that competitor will not be eligible for the main event non-wetsuit division places, but will be recorded as a separate wetsuit division for the purpose of obtaining GSS points.
- Each competitor will swim the approved course, as directed by race marshals, and cannot accept outside assistance.
- Competitors must negotiate all swim cans as directed on each swim leg.
- The race organisers reserve the right to alter advertised event courses, distances to suit race day conditions & address any safety concerns identified on race day.
- All competitors are to behave in a fair and sportsmanslike manner without interference or aggression towards other competitors and any breach may result in disqualification from the event
- If in the opinion of an event official/marshal a competitor is physically or otherwise incapable of starting or completing the event or has been in the water for an inordinate time such a competitor may be disqualified from starting or be removed from the water at any time
Failure to comply with one or more of the race rules may result in disqualification from the event.
Prize winners (or an agreed delegate) must be present on race day to claim any prize (financial or otherwise)
Note also that in the event of event postponement or cancellation due to conditions on race day, entry fees are not refundable. Decisions on this matter will be taken if necessary by the event organisers.
All entrants must register and mark off their attendance on race day at North Curl Curl Surf Club, in order to receive their race numbers and timing chips, as well as the mandatory swim caps .
Registration at the club will be open from 7:00am until 8:30am for the 1.5km Ocean Swim, and 7:00am until 9:30am for the 3.8km Ocean Swim.
Any Late Entries can be made at the registration desks. A $10 blanket late entry fee will be charged for all competitors for all races and categories.
Please ensure you provide ample time for your entry to be processed.
Approximately 20 mins before each event, all competitors are required to attend the race briefing for instructions, held on the beach below the Surf Club. Listen for announcements that will direct competitors to the briefings. Any changes to the event format due to conditions on the day will be communicated at the race briefings.
Race Start Times
The 1.5km swim will commence at 9:00am. The 3.8km event will commence at approximately 10:30am (as soon as the water is clear of the previous event swimmers). All races will start from on the beach in front of the North Curl Curl Surf Club. Competitors are required to marshal at the race start area 15 minutes before the start of each race.
The top 3 place getters in each age category for each swim will receive medals and prizes. The first male and female for each of the swims (based on best time) will also receive the Pacific Champions trophy.
Presentation for all place getters will be made at approximately 12:30 pm after the completion of the second swim. Presentations will be held outside the boat shed area on the western side of the North Curl Curl Surf Club (weather permitting). Food and refreshments will be available.
Note: All place getters (or agreed nominated delegates) must be present at the prize presentation to receive their prizes. The race organisers reserve the right to keep any unclaimed prizes and prize money, and will not be contacting prize winners post the event
Race Medical Advice
Don’t swim or run if you have been suffering from any illness within the previous 48 hours.
If feeling unwell during the swim legs – raise one hand directly above your head and the Water Safety team will assist you.
Drink and First Aid stations will be provided on the beach at the finish line.